When Gayoso de Lemos was named Commandant of the district of Natchez, he built an elegant residence on his estate across the river and named it Concordia.
The name was chosen to recognize the good relations that Gayoso had established with the anglo inhabitants in the Natchez District.
A few years later, a new parochial parish was named Concordia and the fort was renamed Vidalia.
Note: Valsin Broussard is the founder of Broussard, LA. He served as first postmaster of Côte Gelée from December 13, 1856 to June 22, 1866, and again from July 24, 1874, to September 19, 1881; Côte Gelée Post Office renamed Broussardville (now Broussard) in his honor on October 7, 1881.
John the Baptist], Pointe Coupee [including Avoyelles], Opelousas [included Attakapas], Iberville Coast, the Fourche of Chitimachas, Kabahan [Cabanocey], Rapides [in 1805, Avoyelles was combine with Rapides and became Rapides Country.
Assumption Parish was part of Lafourche Interior which included parts of Ascension, Assumption and current-day Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes. Settled by Canadians and French; later by Germans, Acadians, Spaniards. Michel De Cantrelle was built at Convent on the east side of the River. Charles Sallier married Le Bleu's daughter, Catherine.
Here in 1730 Governor Perrier organized expedition against Natchez Indians. French records referred to area as Tabiscana Part of the Mermentau River Watershed. Site of World’s Industrial and Cotton Exposition 1884-1885. Laid out by Charles Zimpel in 1833 on site of Macarty Plantation, formerly uppermost part of Bienville’s 1719 land grant. The Salliers built their home on the shell beach where Lake Charles now stands.
In 1798, Jose Vidal, Commandant of Natchez obtained a land grant on the opposite side of the river from Natchez.
The new Spanish Post was named Concordia because of the proximity to Gayoso's estate.
Meet singles looking for friendship, romance, love and marriage on Zoosk.